Friday, September 19, 2008

The story of the greenhouse

So when I moved into the JS, we were just getting new vinyl windows. We got to keep all the old wooden framed windows and Sequoia suggested we could make them into a cold-frame. Inspiration struck and stuck. So I found a bunch of wood in the woodshed, bought some more wood, some framing pieces, and some screws.

I screwed up in the very beginning by using old 4x4's that had a twist in them as they went up. Seeing as they were the base for my structure, all subsequent pieces did not fit as had been calculated. I even worked out angles for several of the joints. But oh well, I made everything fit.

The windows were single pane, so I took matching windows and screwed them together and I think I even sealed the joint, but I can't remember at the moment. In any case, I got something that resembled a double pane window, though I doubt they are all that effective if the airspace between is not sealed.

I should look into that, huh?

Well, in the end I got a pretty cool greenhouse I think, especially considering I had hardly operated a circular saw before this undertaking. It could have turned out worse, and I still need to fit the door on there better. But shit, it sure did work this year for our towering tomato plants!

Though, the upside down tomato forest is another story altogether.

No comments: