Monday, September 22, 2008
A raised bed garden to match the greenhouse
After the greenhouse was "finished" (it still aint finished, really), I wanted to build a raised bed garden. So I did. First I used the old wood from the rotting tool shed that I destroyed for the greenhouse space to make the frame. Then I spent a weekend hauling truckloads of rocks and soil from Lane Forest Products to the JS. The rocks are for soil drainage, I guess.
Then we planted a bunch of starts. Those starts got eaten by an opossum! So the first winter crop didn't do so hot. Most things bolted or didn't grow until Spring.
Eventually the wood started to bow out too much and consensus was, "The garden, while neat, is hella ugly."
So Erich and I bought 2x12 planks and dug some 4x4 posts to make it look pretty. I think we probably should have put some water based sealer on the wood. But it should last pretty long without it anyway.Well, the garden is still doing pretty well after one year of use. This summer we mostly grew tomatoes, but that is another post.